7 January 2015

Beauty | First Impressions with theBalm



theBalm is a brand that I've seen here and there but never in the shops, and I'm the type of person who likes to physically browse make-up and swatch until my hearts content, so that was my main reason for not picking any of the products up. But after the Cosmo Awards last year, the brand got in touch and kindly sent me some bits for me to try out. I finally got round to giving them a go, so here are some of my first impression opinions.

The Meet Matt(e) Nude Palette* (£34) encases nine huge matte shades, all of which are really pigmented and pack a lot of colour onto the lid. They blend okay, not as well as UD or MAC, but well enough so that there is no harshness and I experienced zero fall out whatsoever. I used a mix of Matt Lombardi and Matt Singh all over the lid, Matt Rosen in the crease and Matt Wood in the outer corner to create a bit of depth. I was worried about some of the warmer shades but I was pleasantly surprised as they suited well and without a primer I was impressed at their vibrancy. The Schwing Liquid Liner* (£12) is probably my favourite of the bunch. Although I wouldn't recommend it for beginners as there's not a lot of control it can be a bit wobbly when applicating, however the liquid is jet black and dries quickly to a completely matte opaque finish. It's also super easy to remove which is a huge bonus.

I've said before that I'm certainly not a blush lover, and it's something that you'll rarely see on me. The Hot Mama Blush* (£13.50) is a shimmery pink/peach shade where I think I'd prefer a little less sparkle. However, like the eyeshadows it is really pigmented so a light hand is needed! It's highlighting partner is the Cindy-Lou Manizer* (£16) which is very similar, just a tad lighter and packed with a ton more shimmer. It reflects beautifully when the light hits it but I didn't want to apply too much to look like a disco ball. Despite this, I'm still desperate to get my hands in the Mary-Lou Manizer.

For the lips I had two options, I first applied the neutral Girls Lipstick in Mai Billsbepaid* (£12). It applied really easy and is of such a creamy consistency. The colour was beautiful and I feel like the bolder shades in the range would be gorgeous too. For a brighter option, I looked to the How 'Bout Them Apples Palette* (£26) and used a lip brush (a necessity) to apply the bright red shade, Cobbler. It applied okay and is such a stunning shade, it's not completely opaque however it dries to more of a stain and lasts really well whilst feeling comfortable on the lips.

The slimline packaging and quirky names are just the beginning with this brand as there really are some great products in there. I can imagine this brand will take over in 2015 as more and more people discover and fall in love with it. Watch this space! Let me know in the comments whether you've tried any theBalm products and what your thoughts are! Thanks for reading.


Check out my January Advertiser - Eliza Hardiman!
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I appreciate it so much! I love reading and replying to your comments, so keep them coming!

© Thumbelina Lillie | UK Beauty Blog | UK Fashion Blog | UK Lifestyle Blog | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig