9 March 2013

Review: Benefit's 'Speed Brow'

Benefit Speed Brow Gel

Benefit Speed Brow Gel


Today is a really special day for me as I reached 250 followers and 17000 page views, amazing! I honestly can not say thank you enough, I appreciate every single person who reads my blog and comments on my posts. I love replying back to you guys. Being part of the blogging community is something special; There's always someone there if you need help with your blog template, advice on a certain product or for just a general chat... Today I'm back reviewing another product after my fashion-post-overload and the product this time around is Benefit 'Speed Brow' Brow Gel.

Brow gels are designed to tidy your eyebrows. Especially those pesky, annoying stray hairs that no matter how much you pluck-pluck-pluck, they still remain intact. When my friend bought me this for Christmas I was over the moon and indeed, very eager to try it. Benefit are one of my favourite cosmetic brands with amazing products such as 'Brow-Zings' (reviewed here) which is a staple in my make-up bag. This product however, is said to 'Tint, tame and set brows in record time'. It's small compact tube makes it handbag friendly and it's 'spooly' brush makes easy application but does it live up to it's description?

In my experience, the gel very, very subtly tints your brows. If I'm in need of a quick fix or am not filling in my eyebrows, a couple of strokes upwards and along my brows make them appear ever so slightly darker than their natural colour. However, if you have sparse brows some filling in may be necessary as the colour only seems to adhere onto my hairs and not the skin beneath them. The down side to the formula is that occasionally there can be a slight off-white residue left on top of the hairs making it look a tad 'icky'. This can easily be taken away with a clean spooly but then you run the risk of wiping away the rest of the product. Not good! I must admit the gel does 'tame' your brows amazingly. After I've applied the product. my eyebrows are evidently a lot neater and have a much more defined shape to them. It's also very quick drying. The gel isn't thick and feels quite wet when first applied but after a minute or so my brows are set and remain in place for about 3-4 hours. This obviously means that a 'top-up' may be needed! Despite being pretty good to living up to it's name, the product, for me, has two downfalls. The first being the price. When I received this at Christmas time it was around £12, however now it's retailing at a huge £16. I say huge because you really don't get your money's worth for the amount of product you receive. It's been under 3 months since I began using it and it's nearly at it's end. Another is that it only comes in one shade. This could prove difficult if you have light eyebrows as it may add an 'unflattering' tint or if you have dark eyebrows as it may not show up at all. My final thought is that even though this is technically a 'good' product, you can probably purchase the exact same thing for half the price elsewhere. Overall Rating: 6/10

Product on with brows filled in. Note the residue.
Have you used this product before? What are your thoughts? Do you know of any cheaper alternatives? Let me know, thanks for reading!

Megan. xo
Share:

60 comments

  1. This looks really good, I've been looking for a brow gel because I have a scar under one of my eyebrows that makes the hair sit funny sometimes. But I might give this a go!

    Thanks for the post and I'm following you now :)

    http://annettibus.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a scar that makes my hairs sit funny too! This definitely sorts them out :) Thank you lovely. xx

      Delete
  2. Congrats on achieving 250 followers!! This looks interesting, I never really look into eyebrow products as mine are so dark and fixed x

    CandyxCosmetics.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks gorgeous! Well aren't you lucky! xx

      Delete
  3. I've never tried an eyebrow gel before, I've always been a bit sceptical but I really think I should! Great post! x

    makeupmusicfashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get a decent one they're great products :) xx

      Delete
  4. Congrats on 250! 6 away from 100! x

    www.hannahheartss.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve never heard of this product before, but it looks amazing!xx
    zoeyinwonderland.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually just use a clear brow gel & pencil but this looks good for when you're in a bit of a rush! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to have a look for a clear one xx

      Delete
  7. This looks like a really handy product! lovely blog, just been browsing through your posts and i'm now following :)

    500daysoffashion.blogspot.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh this looks great, I've never tried a brow gel before, I usually just use eyeshadows to fill them in ha.
    Holly xo

    http://hollslucy.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a powder to fill them in, but this holds them in place! xx

      Delete
  9. Congrats on 250 followers! This sounds great! I have never used it before but want to give it a go x

    http://whatisinherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks really nice and I love the name of your blog!


    www.trendinginfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this looks amazing. I have always wanted to try this... but I never see it on blogs, so this is so helpful thank you lovely xx

    Gem ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have anything like that for my brows, I just might get it :)

    My nail polish blog nails-and-more.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi just found your blog! :) I'm always on the hunt for new brow products as I'm eager to try some out (at the moment I just fill them in with 'Buck' eyeshadow by Urban Decay) Hmm I've heard great things from reviews on Benefit's Brow-zings, so may have to check out your post on that! Thank you for this review though, very informative and helpful.

    If you have a minute, check out my blog? If you enjoy it, maybe we could follow each other? Lucy x x

    www.behind-clothes-doors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The Brow Zings is an amazing product! xx

      Delete
  14. Aw it's a shame it didn't live up to it's expectations, my brows are quite unruly and I usually wax and fill them then use a clear gel to set them afterwards : )

    Congrats on the followers!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to invest in a clear gel! Thank you lovely xx

      Delete
  15. Congrats on 250! I love brow products, i get so excited about eyebrows and how they change a persons face!

    daintydaffs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! Oh definitely, sometimes I feel 'naked' with out my brows! x

      Delete
  16. your brows look amazing, I have the anastasia and love it though it's definitely not cheaper! on a side note, congratulations on the 250 followers, I love your blog it's one of my favourites so v happy for you! :) x

    http://thebeautyvisual.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really want to get a hold of the Brow Wiz somehow! Aww really, that's so cute, thank you! xx

      Delete
  17. Congrats on 250 followers! :)

    I haven't used Benefit's brow gel before, but I do love Benefit products in general! The only thing I use for my brows is eyeshadow to fill them in - I have hairs that don't stay put, but I don't care enough to use a brow gel on them :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely. I'm a big big fan of Benefit! xx

      Delete
  18. Amazing results! Congrats to your 250, sweet! :)

    Giveaway on my blog <3 SHE WALKS Blog

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh no, one shade!? This would never work on me then :( I love Brow-Zings but this concept sounds really good. *SIGH*

    Tara
    www.thestylerawr.com
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they really should make a clear version of this! xx

      Delete
  20. First of all congrats on the success of your lovely blog darling! I love brow products, I couldn't live without my MAC eyebrow pencil! Thanks for sharing this sweetie - I will have to try it.

    Elizabeth Daisy x

    www.candyflosscurlscupcakesandcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's not bad at all as the cam captures it.
    It actually made your brows pretty and neat, yeah I can see the residue but I think every product has its downside:-)
    I might consider trying it tho'
    ♡,
    Riza of Pour L'Instant

    ReplyDelete
  22. I need to get me some of this!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great review hun! I haven't tried this; for some reason I'm not 100% sold on it... I may give it a go eventually, though! :)

    XO,
    http://www.rosychicc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'm 100% sold on it either! Thank you doll xx

      Delete
  24. I've recently ran out of my "Browzings" and was looking to get this but now after reading your review I'm not convinced!
    Going to have to re-invest in "Browzings" or venture onto something else.

    http://rkdunne.blogspot.co.uk/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going to keep repurchasing BrowZings, my favourite product! xx

      Delete
  25. Congratulations! Great post, and a great blog! So I'm a new follower =)

    ReplyDelete
  26. THE EYEBROW LOOK PERFECT TO ME!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's an interesting concept. I think I'll stick to powder, especially after reading this review. I think powder is just so much easier to use! I really like your blog. I'm your newest follower...come check out my blog?

    Jen xx
    jentea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sticking to powder too! Thank you lovely xx

      Delete
  28. I only just started filling in my brows/taking good care of them so maybe I'll check this out
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such an interesting product' I used to use powder for my brows, but recently I've moved onto a pencil!
    Lovely blog dear!
    - Andrea Marie xx

      frominsidemycloset.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really tried pencil but I really want to try the Anastasia Brow Wiz! xx

      Delete
  30. I also use this! I do love it, although I do think for quite a teeny product it's quite pricey. Do give the eyebrow gel from Elf cosmetics a try! It isn't bad for the price :-) xo

    Prettyandtasty-Ly.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree! Oooh thanks for the recommendation! xx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I appreciate it so much! I love reading and replying to your comments, so keep them coming!

© Thumbelina Lillie | UK Beauty Blog | UK Fashion Blog | UK Lifestyle Blog | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig