13 May 2013

Review: NARS Satin Lip Pencil in 'Floralies'

NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Floralies
You wouldn't believe the girly squeal I let out when I received this from the lovely people at HQ Hair; My first ever NARS product! You see, in my town, we're very limited when it comes to beauty counters; We have a Benefit, Urban Decay, Clinique, Estee Lauder and a couple of other small counters, but not much at all. So when I'm on my travels I always like to pick up products from brands (such as MAC) that aren't easily accessible to me. Can you believe that I've not even been to a NARS counter before?! You could imagine my delight when I received this...

These lips pencils come in a typical NARS chunky, matte black packaging with the actual shade shown towards the end of the pencil. It really lives up to my expectations of high-end packaging as I think NARS are a brand which products always look very sleek. However, the packaging does get a tad grubby as you can see above. NARS describe these as 'rich, colour-bright pigments' that are formulated with vitamins to keep your lips moisturised. The whole concept of these drew me in, and so did the colour; I'm a 'neutral eye - bright lip' kind of girl, so the shade 'Floralies', a light apricot, was a challenge for me. 

When it came to applying the product I thoroughly agreed with the brand, the lip pencil glided on smoothly and without any pull and gave a moisturised, shiny and semi-opaque finish. Unfortunately, this lasted for all of 5 minutes. Despite applying a lip scrub and balm like I do before any lip product, the colour swiftly faded and began to accentuate any remaining dry patches that were on my lips, although it's not technically 'drying'. I'm so disappointed as I was genuinely pleased with how it looked when first applied. Maybe the finish isn't for me, as it's the first time I've tried a 'satin' finish. I was also somewhat confused as my lips aren't particularly dry as I always where matte and many other formulas without a problem. Sorry NARS, not for me! Overall Rating: 4/10

After 10 minutes of wear
Eee well, some products just aren't for everybody are they? Please take in mind, that even though it didn't work for me, it may look fab on someone else! Thanks again to HQ Hair for the product, I love experiencing products from brands I haven't had the chance to try! I'd love to try out some other NARS products, so please leave your recommendations down below for me. Have you tried this particular product? What did you think? Let me know, thanks for reading!

P.S.  I passed my driving theory test today, wahoo!

Megan. xo

*Some posts may contain PR/Gifted samples, please read my disclaimer here for further information*
Share:

48 comments

  1. Aw that's very disappointing! I've also yet to try anything Nars (we only have one counter in ALL of Ireland!) I'd still like to try some of their stuff out!

    Thanks for the honest review!

    www.annettibus.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is! I don't even know where my nearest counter is in the UK! xx

      Delete
  2. Such a shame :( Some NARS products (their powders) are amazing! Congratulations on passing your theory :) XX

    Amy| The Little Koala Blog ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about their powders, thank you! xx

      Delete
  3. So many Nars products are amaze...it's a shame your first experience wasn't brilliant.

    If you get the chance you need to try:
    pressed powder, loose powder, bronzer, mascara, eyeshadow and blusher- they are literally the best ever!!
    Also, 'Chihuahua' lipgloss is my all-time number one fave!

    I'm sure you'll get sent some of these lovelies soon and you'll experience the true lushness of the brand :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, so gutted Oooh thanks for your recommendations, I'm excited to try some more! xx

      Delete
  4. I've never tried Nars products before but it's a shame this didn't take well because it looks like such a pretty colour. Congrats on passing your theory test :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely colour, so suttle and easy to wear! I love abit or orange as well! :) Congratulations on passing your theory as well! :)

    xx

    http://tinypollypocket.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh that's a shame it didn't work for you, does look like it would be a nice shade.
    Congratulations on passing your theory. I remember sitting mine, scawy times.
    Megan xx

    www.maybeitsmeganleigh.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I think a brighter colour may be better! Thanks lovely, it was! xx

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous colour! Have you thought about trying it on your eyes? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I haven't! I'll have to try that, thanks! xx

      Delete
  8. Such a shame that it didn't last very long! Congrats on passing your theory test :) I remember taking mine! Sure you'll be driving in no time :) xx

    Abby | Beauty and a Blogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Thank you lovely - I'm excited to officially drive! xx

      Delete
  9. Such a shame, it's a lovely colour. Well done on your theory!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haven't tried any of their lip pencils, what a shame though! Well done on passing your theory! :) xx

    Alavish.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so disappointing! Nars is such a great brand- it's my favourite infact! For other products by them you could try their Copacabana liquid illuminator which is lovely mixed in with foundation or on top to give a dewy glow or thier Albatross highlighter is lovely but i'd opt for Topshop's Sunbeam hightlighter as it's a great, cheaper dupe. Their Multiples are also amazing but i'm still yet to try them but the reviews & swatches of them are gorgeous! xx

    CandyxCosmetics.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? I really want to try a lot of their products actually, I've heard fab things about their powders and blushes. xx

      Delete
  12. I've been loving this product!! I have the Luxembourg shade and it is just the perfect watermelon shade!!
    x

    http://the-astyle.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm glad it works for someone else :) xx

      Delete
  13. That's a shame because NARS always seem to sell amazing products!

    j4miejohnston.blogspot.co.uk

    Jamie ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I think that's why I had high expectations! xx

      Delete
  14. aww this is such a shame.. the colour looked lovely! :(
    xxx
    http://eleanorcos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done on passing your theory! I have a Satin lip pencil in the shade Luxembourg and I absolutely adore it - it lasts so well on me up until a full on meal but it's a really bright pink/red so maybe that's why. Such a shame as the colour of this is beautiful on you!

    www.absolutebeaut.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy - I seen your post and it looks gorgeous on you! xx

      Delete
  16. Aww such a shame it didn't work well for you. I've read other reviews raving about these and now I don't know whether or not to get one! Great review though! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may as well try them - everybody's different! xx

      Delete
  17. I really want to try the matte versions of these! The nars bronzer is really good X

    http://aztecdoll.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what the formulation is like.. It's a cult product isn't it! xx

      Delete
  18. I haven't tried the Satin range but I love their regular lip pencils xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I knew they did matte but not regular ones xx

      Delete
  19. you looks great with this lip pencil, i love the color. is that flesh or orange? lol~ i had followed your blog and wish you can follow mine back~ wish we can be friends~

    http://me-poppy.blogspot.com
    thanks~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an orange! I'll check you out lovely xx

      Delete
  20. how annoying! I hate when that happens, I like a lip product to last! x

    http://thebeautyvisual.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Me too - especially when your working all day! xx

      Delete
  21. Agh I've always wanted to try one or some ;) of the NARS pencils. What a shame that this shade wasn't very good! I'd love to perhaps give one of the satin ones a try xxx


    ❤ www.MissMakeupMagpie.co.uk ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think they'd hopefully be a lot better in a brighter shade! xx

      Delete
  22. looks like such a lovely color for spring and summer, such a shame it didn't work well on you. as I have no NARS counters in my country at all I would love to try it too! x

    Eve from ChantellEve.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, absolutely gutted! Aww I feel your pain ha! xxx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I appreciate it so much! I love reading and replying to your comments, so keep them coming!

© Thumbelina Lillie | UK Beauty Blog | UK Fashion Blog | UK Lifestyle Blog | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig